Saturday, July 28, 2012

First Month Under Our Belt

Well we are finishing up our first month of schooling.  It has been fun, exhausting and some times out and out crazy.

We got through all the materials we had intended on getting through and still took some time off.  I have to say I was surprised on how fast we were able to cover materials.  When doing our research for homeschooling I kept reading that it really doesn't take as long as regular school does.  I'm a believer now.

I would say the only hurdles we found were my patience, which stretched a lot farther than I ever imagined it could.  Then my daughters occasional melt downs, okay not occasional almost every day.

She is a perfectionist, yes I know she comes by it honestly and genetically.  Of course though it's not from me though...hahaha.  It tried my patience, but in the end it did all I could do not to just laugh at her.   I know it sounds bad, buuut, it did border on extreme.

Let me give you an example.  We did a page of math problems, she is going into 1st grade, so really all we do so far is simple addition and beginning simple subtraction.  Here is the perfection in her, out of about 35 problems she got 2 wrong on the subtraction.  She was one digit off in her counting, due to moving her fingers around she keeps missing her thumb.  She flung herself out of her chair, whaling.  "I'm never going to get it, I can't learn anything" on and on she continued.  Me saying it's okay, your learning, it's part of it, when really I wanted to laugh and ask "Are you kidding me?"

Drama.... she is good at it.  I was curious, what are you guys doing out there to help your kids out who might be a perfectionist, or overly dramatic?

Until next week...

Love and Enjoy your life and family.  It is truly a gift from God

K

No comments:

Post a Comment